In order to promote participation and engagement in the Chattanooga-Hamilton County/North Georgia Transportation Planning Organization’s (TPO) Green Trips Program, staffed by the
Chattanooga-Hamilton County Regional Planning Agency (RPA), Green Trips members and members of the general public will be able to engage through various forms of social media throughout the program’s implementation. Social media channels for Green Trips provide an
opportunity for sharing and discussing information about alternative transportation and transportation-relevant programs and activities. Comments and opinions expressed by users of social media channels (facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, LinkedIn, blog) are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of the RPA or its employees. All public comments are reviewed and screened in accordance with the below RPA social media use policy. We encourage members of the public to submit their questions, comments, and concerns, but please note that all Green Trips social media channels are moderated online discussion sites, not a public forum.
EXTERNAL USER GUIDELINES
• We do not allow graphic, obscene, explicit, racial or otherwise discriminatory comments or
submissions, nor do we allow comments that are abusive, hateful or intended to defame any
individual or any organization.
• We do not allow solicitations or advertisements. This includes promotion or endorsement of any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency. Similarly, we do not allow attempts to
defame or defraud any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency.
• We do not allow comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity.
• RPA social media channels are not open to comments promoting or opposing any person
campaigning for election to a political office or promoting or opposing any ballot proposition.
• All RPA social media / blog authors and public commentators shall be clearly identified.
Anonymous blog postings shall not be allowed. Personal responsibility for comments is
assumed (username and any information provided).
• We review all comments and reserve the right to discard messages containing inappropriate
• Appearance of external links does not constitute any official endorsement on behalf of the
Chattanooga-Hamilton County RPA.
• Comments will not be edited by the RPA or its staff. However, only comments that comply with
RPA use policy will be approved for posting. The use of vulgar, offensive, defamatory (personal
attacks), threatening or harassing language is prohibited, and comments or user accounts
therein are subject to removal.
• The content of each Chattanooga-Hamilton County RPA social media channel are owned by and the sole responsibility of the RPA (producer and user of the channel). Documents and articles submitted to an RPA social media channel shall be moderated by an authorized and trained Web 2.0 moderator (namely, the Green Trips Coordinator or Green Trips Membership Specialist).
• Public comments on RPA-generated content should be limited to comments related to the
posted topic. RPA social media channels are not the proper place to express opinions or beliefs
not directly related to subjects/areas in which the RPA conducts its business (ex., land use and
transportation policies & programs). RPA social media channels are not intended as forums to
discuss zoning cases, as these comments should be entered into the public record through the
traditional means (see next paragraph). If comments left on our social media postings are
constructive, we view those posts as an opportunity to discuss, clear up misunderstandings, or
otherwise work through whatever issues the person is having. We encourage comments on
content shared via our social media channels, as all viewpoints are welcome, but citizen
participation must be constructive. We reserve the right to make editorial decisions regarding
submitted comments, including but not limited to removal of comments.
• Communications made through e-mail and messaging systems within social media channels will in no way constitute a legal or official notice or comment to the RPA/TPO(or any official or
employee of the RPA) for any purpose. For example, a post, comment, Tweet, or facebook
message that asks the RPA to provide public records will not be considered a public records
request until being sent through the proper channels. Comments on RPA/TPO plans & work
programs to be entered into the public record shall be submitted through traditional means, or
the formal transportation planning process. Inquiries specific to a Chattanooga-Hamilton
County RPA or Chattanooga-Hamilton County/North Georgia TPO project or program should be
submitted directly to the RPA Deputy Director/ TPO Coordinator by email at
• As social media is a fast-evolving means of public interface, this policy statement is subject to
amendment or modification at any time to ensure its continued use is consistent with its
intended purpose as limited forum. Questions or concerns regarding the Chattanooga-Hamilton
County RPA’s presence in various social media channels should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated 6/10/13